Skip to main content

Can Platelet-Rich Plasma Reduce the Burden of Inflammatory Skin Diseases Such as Psoriasis and Atopic Dermatitis?



In this study, our aim was to investigate the clinical effects of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) on the skin of patients suffering from plaque psoriasis or atopic dermatitis.

Over a period of 53 months, we treated a total of 40 patients for inflammatory skin diseases with PRP. All of these patients were included in this study; 5-6 ml of PRP were prepared with the autologous-conditioned plasma (ACP) double syringe and injected subdermally. Follow-ups were conducted at three, six, nine, and 12 weeks after treatment. Besides the lesion size, Psoriasis Area and Severity Index (PASI) and Eczema Area and Severity Index (EASI) were also calculated. Data were evaluated statistically at a significance level of p≤0.05.

A total of 30 patients were treated for plaque psoriasis. The elbow area represented the most common area of treatment (17 cases). The average lesion size decreased from 8.2 cm² to 0.3 cm² (p<0.00001). Of note, 80% of all patients achieved complete remission (PASI100) at the last follow-up. The remaining 20% reached at least PASI70. Ten patients were treated for atopic dermatitis. In six cases, efflorescences on patients’ arms were treated, and in four cases, patients’ legs were treated. The average lesion size decreased from 8 cm² to 0.155 cm² (p<0.00001). Notably, 50% of all patients achieved complete remission (EASI100) at the last follow-up. The other half reached at least EASI70. In all cases, the lesion size decreased progressively. No adverse events were reported.

Our study revealed encouraging results for both psoriasis and atopic dermatitis. The autologous treatment was safe and effective in all patients. Further studies are required to validate these initial findings.

Looking for assistance with our website? Click HERE to view our website assistance tutorials!
%d bloggers like this: